Episode 105: Dana Pointer on Building Teams, Relationships and Businesses
In this episode of Beyond the Business Suit I interviewed Dana Pointer. Dana is the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Compliance Officer of Preserver Partners, LLC, which is an SEC-registered investment management firm, and is also the Owner and Managing Partner of Made Beautiful, which focuses on developing products that help women honor their true beauty. Dana is one of those people who when you hear about all of the things they have going on you either think to yourself, “what am I doing with my life?!” or “maybe I can have it all!”
In this episode you'll hear us discuss
- The importance of knowing your strengths
- How building the right team can help you become successful
- Why building the right relationships and telling your story are so important
- The things that worked in Dana's favor to help her company Made Beautiful grow so quickly
- How Dana manages her family, two businesses and personal life
- The paradigm shift Dana had in her mid-30s that brought her to where she is today
- How she leveraged what she learned from her Investment Management background to apply to her Beauty business
“We all know that when a woman feels beautiful and feels confident, there's so much more that goes along with that.”“People do business with people they like and people they trust.”“Sometimes people can throw too much money into the wrong areas of business.”“Normally when I'm challenged with something that I'm not familiar with, I will research it to death and I'll learn everything I can about it.”
Dana Pointer is Chief Operating Officer and Chief Compliance Officer of Preserver Partners, LLC, an SEC-registered investment management firm based in Memphis, TN. Preserver manages an opportunistic fund-of-funds, an all-cap US equity portfolio and serves as the Advisor to the Preserver Alternative Opportunities Fund, a mutual fund. Preserver's clients include retail and institutional investors.
Mrs. Pointer has extensive experience in various areas of the investment industry. Serving as Chief Operating Officer, she is responsible for all aspects of investment operations and administration for the firm's private and public investment funds. Also serving as Chief Compliance Officer, she's responsible for the firm's Regulatory Compliance Program.
Mrs. Pointer also serves as an Owner and Managing Partner of Made Beautiful, a minority owned company formed to focus on developing products that help women honor their true beauty. She oversees the strategic planning and drives the long-term financial growth of the Made Beautiful portfolio.
Prior to joining Preserver, Mrs. Pointer served as Vice President and Compliance Officer from 1994-2010 for FTN Financial Capital Markets, a national broker-dealer, where she held Series 7, 24, 52, 53 & 63 licenses. She also served as Chief Compliance Officer for Channing Capital Management LLC, a private investment management firm in Chicago, IL, from 2003-2005. She earned a Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting from The University of Tennessee in 1994.
Mrs. Pointer currently serves as a board member for the RISE Foundation and has served on the Grant Committee of the Women's Foundation of Greater Memphis since 2012. She is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and Leadership Memphis Executive Class of 2013 .
The Final Five
- If I asked a bunch of people who know Dana to describe her using three words they would say: motivator, loyal and silly.
- Dana's night time routine includes: spending quality time talking with her daughter before she goes to bed.
- The best advice Dana's ever received: If you don't know something, don't pretend that you do.
- Three things (people excluded) that she can't live without: music, her peace of mind and wine (she loves full-bodied cabernets).
- Dana's go-to power outfit: a nice mid-length, cap-sleeved, fitted dress with plain point-toe pumps.
How you can connect with Dana online or on social media:
Website for By Made Beautiful: http://bymadebeautiful.com/