Episode 123: Patrice Washington Teaches Us What It Means to Redefine Wealth
Happy New Year! This is the first official episode of Beyond the Business Suit in 2018, and I couldn't think of a better interview to start off with than this one with Patrice Washington. You may know of Patrice from the Steve Harvey Morning Show, her new podcast Redefining Wealth or maybe you've seen her speak on stage or on one of many TV shows. Nationally known as “America’s Money Maven”, Patrice has had tremendous success with her “money mindset” approach to personal finance. I love how she encourages women to redefine wealth and “chase purpose, not money.”
This was one of my favorite podcast episodes of all time, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Mentioned in this episode:
- The Goal Crushers Facebook group: kaileicarr.com/goalcrushers
- Hal Elrod's Book, The Miracle Morning
- Patrice's first entrepreneurial venture as a child
- The devastating experiences that ultimately led to Patrice doing the work she does today
- Why celebrating wins is so important
- What she means by “redefining wealth” and why wealth needs to be redefined in the first place
- Much more…
Patrice Washington, is a nationally recognized best-selling author, featured columnist, television commentator, transformational speaker, spokesperson, radio host and leading authority on personal finance, entrepreneurship and success for women and youth.
A licensed real estate professional by her sophomore year in college and a real estate and mortgage broker at 21 years old, Patrice took her boutique brokerage from the dining room of her 700-square foot condo to a 7-figure real estate empire by just 25. After losing her fortune in the Great Recession, she dedicated her life to not just rebuilding and reinventing her own life, but helping the masses move from debt management to money mastery.
Nationally known as “America’s Money Maven”, Patrice has had tremendous success with her “money mindset” approach to personal finance. Her teachings go beyond coupon cutting, budgeting, and credit repair, and focus on shifting mindset, earning more, and living your purpose. Patrice is committed to redefining the term “wealth”, encouraging women to have “wealth” in all aspects of their lives by pursuing their dreams, being fulfilled, and earning more without ever chasing money.
She has built a thriving community of engaged women committed to taking their personal finances, careers, and lives to the next level, and continues to invest in women worldwide through her work.
Today, Patrice’s wisdom on money matters has been tapped as a recurring voice by national brands such as NBC, FOX News, Black Enterprise, The Huffington Post, Essence Magazine and more. She’s been profiled by The New York Post, SUCCESS Magazine and Women of Wealth Magazine and is most known as the personal finance voice of the top-rated and nationally syndicated Steve Harvey Morning Radio Show where she hosts her own weekly segment, Real Money Answers with Patrice Washington. Additionally, she is the consulting producer for Steve Harvey's FUNDERDOME, from Mark Burnett, a top-rated, seed-funding competition reality series where two budding entrepreneurs go head-to-head to win over a live studio audience to fund their ideas, products or companies. Each year she electrifies tens of thousands as a sought-after speaker from colleges to churches and conferences nationally and has shared the stage with renowned speakers such as Lisa Nichols, Laila Ali, Paul C. Brunson and Steve Harvey. Most recently, Patrice appeared on Centric TV’s, The Round, delivering a dynamic and empowering talk on success.
Besides professional achievements such as receiving the Outstanding Georgia Citizen Award at the State Capitol and an Honorary Kentucky Colonel recognition, Patrice believes her greatest accomplishment is marrying her college sweetheart, Gerald Washington and raising their energetic daughter, Reagan.
Learn more about Patrice at www.patricewashington.com
The Final Five
- Patrice's first job was: working in a human resources department at a hotel.
- If I were to ask 10 people who know Patrice to describe her using three words, she thinks they would say: humorous, resilient, purposeful.
- How Patrice best manages her family, career and all her priorities: she focused on trying to create harmony. She incorporates her daughter and husband whenever she can and blocks personal time like she blocks business time.
- The one thing in her career she wishes she could get a “do over” for: in one of her early speaking engagements she was asked to not talk about her faith so much. And given she was trying to build her name, she carried that with her and tried to suppress it because she didn't think it was “professional.” If she could get a “do over” for that she would have said that if they invited her, they invited all of her. When she started embracing all of who she was, then the world opened up.
- Patrice's favorite power outfit: Besides Spanx :), she loves bright colors and a nice long-sleeved A-line dress.
How you can connect with Patrice online:
Redefining Wealth Podcast: www.patricewashington.com/listen/