Episode 90: Set Your Image Intention for 2017
I can't believe it's already December and 2016 is coming to a close! Where did this year go!? I don't know about you, but this is the time of year when I am working hard to end the year off strong and getting geared up for the new year ahead. And even if you're not quite ready for 2017, we have over three more weeks to make it happen!
In today's episode of Beyond the Business Suit I wanted to talk about how setting your intentions for not only your goals, but also your image, may help you achieve what you want to in 2017.
Notes from the show:
Earlier this week I caught a bit of an interview that Steve Harvey did on The View where he talked about how when he turned 50, he made some major changes in his life. He said that his wife had a big impact on him since she helped him revamp his image. With his wardrobe he went from large, boxy, bright-colored suits to well-tailored suits in more conservative colors. He went from having a signature box haircut to cutting it off and showcasing a clean, bald head. He even lost weight. When asked about this transformation, he essentially said that in order to get things he'd never had, he had to do some things that he'd never done. He also said that his wife helped him see that he had to appear in a way that was aligned with the opportunities he wanted in his life. And we see this in business too. We've all heard about the importance of looking the part and that we should dress for the job we want, not for the job we have and we have. So as you're thinking about what you want to attract in your life in 2017, think about what that looks like. How do you need to show up to appear as if you are already there? I am telling you that doing this will create a shift and allow you to attract the exact opportunities you want in your life.
I know you've probably heard about vision boarding, but have you done one for your image? This is something that I've done myself and guide clients through. And just yesterday I was talking to my friend and accountability partner, Amanda Miller Littlejohn and she mentioned how I help people set their “image intention” and I just love that phrasing. So here are some of the things you can think about as you set your image intention for 2017:
- Since I think it's good to start everything with thinking about your personal brand, identify what are the three words or phrases you want people to think of when they meet you for the first time.
- What goals do you want to achieve in 2017?
- What do you want to stand for?
- What tweaks would you have to make to your personal style, just like Steve Harvey did, to align your image with what you want to achieve?
- What words, colors, images, people represent the intentions you have?
- Are there any people out there who inspire you through their style who you can use as inspiration as you build your image?
Here are the steps to build your vision board that represents your image intention:
- Get a stack of magazines, poster board, scissors and a glue stick.
- Look at the list you made with your 2017 goals and the colors, words, images that represent your image intention.
- Look through the magazines with this in mind. Cut out whatever you see that fit your image intention and paste them to the board. You may also want to look on some of your favorite websites or even some of your favorite Instagram accounts to print and cut out images to add.
- Once you have your board completed, find someplace to put it where you can refer back to it and also take a photo of it. That way, even if you don't have any place to put it like an office or closet, you can save it on your phone, even as the wallpaper on your phone, so you can reinforce those images.
What I've found is, just like with vision boarding, setting those intentions and putting it out to the universe really helps to put things in motion. Once you set your image intention for 2017 and build your vision board, I would love to see it! Post it on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook and tag me — I'm @kaileicarr in all those places. Here is a vision board that was a career/image combo that I created back in 2014 (and notice Hillary Clinton next to “We're Stronger Together” — I was clairvoyant!).
Do you need help executing your image intention for the year or building your capsule collection for the winter? I have just a few spots client spots available before the end of 2016, so feel free to reach out to me and we can schedule a discovery call to get you started.
One bit of housekeeping: This is my last brand new podcast episode of 2016 (I know! Sniff, sniff.). But don't worry — I will be rebroadcasting some of my favorite episodes of Beyond the Business Suit to help get you ready for the new year. And even if you've listened to all of the episodes before, I will include some updates, so you won't want to miss them. In the meantime, I'm working on some interviews with some amazing women that I can't wait to share with you in the new year.