Episode 59: Becky Frankiewicz Teaches Us About Work/Life Collisions and the “Climb and Pull”
In this episode of Beyond the Business Suit, I had the pleasure of interviewing Becky Frankiewicz who is the senior vice president and General Manager of Quaker Foods North America.
I was so impressed by Becky: especially her candor, authenticity and warmth. I learned so much from her in our short time together including how growing up on a farm in TX impacted her life and career, what advice she has for women interested in climbing up the corporate ladder, what advice she has for me, and women like me, who are entering into parenthood for the first time and so much more.
In this episode you will hear Becky share:
- The benefits of growing up on a farm in Texas and how that impacted her career and life
- How “not knowing” has served her well
- What advice she has for women interested in climbing up the ladder
- Some of the things that have her feeling energized personally and professionally right now
- What advice she has for me, and women like me who are embarking into parenthood for the first time
- What women and men should do to be better role models to employees
- How she got lost during a trip to Tokyo
- Of course, oatmeal!
- …and a lot more!
Becky Frankiewicz is the Senior Vice President and General Manager of Quaker Foods North America, a division of PepsiCo, and important better-for-you brand within the company’s global growth strategy.
Ms. Frankiewicz began her PepsiCo career nine years ago in finance working in the strategy / mergers & acquisitions practice for Frito Lay. Since then she’s held a variety of roles across marketing and innovation for Quaker Foods North America and the Global Nutrition Group.
Most recently Ms. Frankiewicz spent two years operating in a sales capacity, leading and developing PepsiCo’s Costco business globally across 9 countries. As part of this role, she was responsible for setting the long-term strategic plan, delivering the annual operating plan and leading customer interaction.
In October of 2014, Ms. Frankiewicz re-joined the Quaker Foods North America team as general manager, a role that allows her to serve as the keeper of a loved and trusted health and wellness brand, steeped in nearly 140 years of heritage.
Prior to PepsiCo, Ms. Frankiewicz worked in strategic consulting with Deloitte and Andersen Consulting and held a series of management and leadership roles at Procter & Gamble. She holds a BBA in Marketing from the University of Texas and an MBA in Finance from the University of Texas San Antonio.
Passionate about the development of female leaders in business, Ms. Frankiewicz is the executive sponsor of PepsiCo’s Women’s Inclusion Network and sits on the Board of Directors for Girls in the Game, a nonprofit committed to developing leadership in at-risk teen girls.
Ms. Frankiewicz resides in the suburbs of Chicago with her husband and three daughters.
“Even if you have to walk in part of the race, you always run across the finish line. You always finish strong.”
“Work worth doing is self defined”
“I love heritage…I have a really healthy appreciation for things that last, especially in our fast-paced world; and to combine that with the brand that I get to look after today is ‘purpose.'”
“I think we have to be able to climb and pull others with us…If you're climbing and you're pulling, you're bringing people with you.”
“Find out what works for you, and do it, and be unapologetic about it!”
The Final 5:
- Becky's personal secret weapons of success: being courageous, willing to take risks, and candor.
- If I were to ask 10 people who know Becky to describe her using three words they would say: driven, caring and passionate.
- Becky's morning routine: she works out every morning and loves Beach Body which she can take on the road with her.
- How she manages her family, life and career: Before the beginning of each month, they have a family meeting and one of the things they do is she asks her daughters what are the most important events that they want her to attend. Then, Becky moves things around to make sure she's able to attend.
- Becky's favorite “power outfit”: a navy pinstriped J Crew jacket and skirt that has a tie belt and ruffled neckline. It's feminine and strong at the same time.
Have a question or comment from today's episode? Leave it in the comments section below!