Episode 69: Building Your Professional Network Part 1: Mentors [REBROADCAST]
While I'm on maternity leave I'm rebroadcasting some of my favorite episodes of Beyond the Business Suit. In this episode we’re covering part 1 of a 2 part series about building your professional network. For part 1 I’ll be tackling mentor relationships and in our next episode we’ll be discussing sponsor relationships.
Here are the 4 Dos and Don’ts when building mentor relationships (listen to the episode for the full details):
- Do develop a mentor set (you don’t want just one mentor). Like Keesha Boyd taught us in episode #11, we should have four types of mentors:
- A peer
- A coach
- A proven navigator with a similar style
- A straight shooter
- Don’t ask someone, “Can you be my mentor?”
- Do start by building an authentic relationship.
- Do make sure there is some give and take in the relationship. Make sure the relationship is not only one sided.
Do you have any success stories with mentors? Leave a comment below!