Episode 22: Ekene Onu Teaches Us How to Refresh Our Lives
In the latest episode of Beyond the Business Suit I had the honor of interviewing Ekene Onu. I met Ekene at the Be Blogalicious Weekend in 2014. We were both speaking at the event and I was drawn to her energy, brilliance and centeredness. I knew I had to have her on the show. Here's a little bit of background on Ekene: she is THE person to help women go from stuck to fabulous, and one of the reasons why is because of her own story. She considers herself a case study in reinvention, as she took herself from spending over 15 years as a pharmacist to now a reinvention consultant and strategist and founder of Refresh: A place for holistic feminine leadership. Ekene's story is one about faith, determination, following your intuition and also of one of her guiding principles which is “radical self care.” She is a great story teller and I know you will learn a lot from this episode.
Some of the things you will learn in this episode:
- How Ekene lost 90 pounds
- The FIT acronym to help you get started in taking risks and follow your passions
- Ekene's upcoming Fearless Living and Leading Retreat
She leads workshops and retreats including her own signature Refresh experiences. Has spoken at various conferences and organizations in the US and in West Africa and South Africa. She was recently names one of the 100 most influential women in Nigeria and has been featured in Nigerian media often as a recurring guest on radio and other media outlets.
Visit www.refreshwithekene.com today and get resources and tools to refresh your life and become your best self.
The Final Five:
1. Ekene's “secret weapons of success”: Prayer, exercise, not being afraid to fail.
2. If we were to ask 10 people who know her to describe her, here's what they would say about her: She's fearless, vibrant, refreshing, unexpected, and a great conversationalist.
3. Ekene's morning routine: Prayer, scripture reading, social media and exercise. Her night time routine: prayer, reading and visualizing.
Ekene mentioned these books:
4. How Ekene manages her life, family, relationships and career: she forgives herself as a mother and a spouse, because it's going to be imperfect and that's okay. She also lets go of expectations of what it should be and embraces what it is. Her family focuses on quality over quantity. Positive shared experiences create incredible bonding.
5. Three of Ekene's favorite things: Golden pecan bread from the Dekalb Farmers Market near Atlanta, travel and bath products.
How you can connect with Ekene: