Episode 43: Dos and Don’ts for Building Mentor Relationships
In this episode of Beyond the Business Suit, we're covering part 1 of a 2 part series about building your professional network. In this episode we'll be tackling mentor relationships and in our next episode we'll be discussing sponsor relationships.
Here are the 4 Dos and Don'ts when building mentor relationships (listen to the episode for the full details):
- Do develop a mentor set (you don't want just one mentor). Like Keesha Boyd taught us in episode #11, we should have four types of mentors:
- A peer
- A coach
- A proven navigator with a similar style
- A straight shooter
- Don't ask someone, “Can you be my mentor?”
- Do start by building an authentic relationship.
- Do make sure there is some give and take in the relationship. Make sure the relationship is not only one sided.
Also, I'm excited to announce that I'm having a baby!!! My husband and I are very excited to be expecting our first child next year. I want to hear from all of you moms out there: what are some of your favorite maternity brands or stores for work wear? I am learning first hand how to dress a significantly changing body and would love to hear from you. Leave a comment below here or on my Facebook page.