Episode 6: Stacey Ferguson Talks Turning Her Passion into a Full-Time Gig
This week I had a great conversation with Stacey Ferguson. No, not Stacy Ferguson of the Black Eyed Peas known as “Fergie.” This Stacey Ferguson is best known as “Justice Fergie” online. Stacey is the Chief Curator for the Be Blogalicious community and wears many other hats which you can find in her bio below. The 6th Blogalicious conference is taking place next month and I am excited to be the Mistress of Ceremonies for the event! Stacey was so gracious to give my audience a discount code, B6SISTER that can be used when you register for the conference here.
Stacey (also known online as Justice Fergie) is a digital brand strategist, new media attorney, veteran blogger, event producer, social media personality, public speaker, freelance writer, and Chief Curator of the Be Blogalicious community and conferences celebrating diversity among women in social media.
Since 2006, Stacey has grown the Blogalicious community to a movement of over 8,000 multicultural influencers. As Founder of Justice Fergie Lifestyle Media, she combines media, publishing, consulting & events to inspire women to live richly with strategies for turning personal passions into viable brands. She regularly consults with both startups and established brands on digital and brand strategy, as well as influencer outreach and social media disclosure guidelines.
Stacey also is an accomplished public speaker, presenting at conferences and events nationally. She has been named as a 2012 Best Brand of the Year by Stiletto Media and a Top 10 Black Innovator of 2013 by MVMT50 at SXSW.
She is a wife, and mother of 3 and resides in the DC Metro Area, and was an attorney in the US Federal Trade Commission’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, Division of Advertising Practices for 7 years, where she specialized in investigating unfair acts and practices relating to social media disclosures, spyware and adware, and peer-to-peer file sharing, among other hi-tech goods and services issues.
Stacey received her B.S. in Telecommunications, with a specialization in Radio and Television Production from the University of Florida, and her J.D. from the Howard University School of Law.
Highlights from the interview
Stacey’s advice for bloggers interested in going from moonlighting to full time blogging:
- Treat your current job as your first investor
- Make sure you are sure it is something you really want to do.
- Talk with those closest to you (parents, spouse, children) to make sure they understand what it will mean for them if you pursue this full time and make sure they are on board with your decision.
See Stacey’s article 5 Strategies for Transitioning from Your Day Job to Your Side Business here.
The Final 10
10 questions we ask everyone we interview to learn some fun insights about them. Here are Stacey’s responses:
- Stacey’s first job: Concession stand at the ice skating rink near her house in Montreal.
- Stacey’s “secret weapons” of success: Relationship building and collaboration/partnerships
- 3 words to describe Stacey’s personal brand: Fun, positive and insightful
- The best advice Stacey has received: when you’re face with a tough decision, choose the one that makes you feel free. Also, whenever you say “yes” to something instead of saying “no” you’re committing an act of terrorism on yourself.
- What Stacey feels makes a good leader: Someone who makes their followers feel like they are a part of the movement.
- Stacey’s morning routine: She actually made a promise to herself that after she stopped practicing law she would not have routines, regimens or wear a watch or black suit J! That being said, most mornings she gets herself going so she can get the kids out of the house since she has three kids in three different schools. Once she gets home she likes drinking a morning tea. One of her favorites is a chocolate mate tea.
- How Stacey manages her life, management and her career: She strives for “equilibrium” – the things that make her feel centered. She actually recently wrote a post called “Smart Idea: Make a List of Your Secret Energy Sources” which can help get you back to center.
- Things that Stacey reads to keep sharp: Everything from Harvard Business Review to US Weekly. Favorites: Fast Company Magazine and business/life/success books including her current reading list: Thrive by Arianna Huffington, Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook by Gary Vaynerchuk, and The Gatekeepers Are Gone by Lamar Tyler.
- 3 of Stacey’s favorite things: Her Macbook Air, engagement ring (she and her husband just celebrated 11 years last weekend) and magazine collection.
- How you can connect with Stacey: @justicefergie on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest, her blog at justicefergie.com and @beblogalicious on Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook and www.beblogalicoius.com.
Remember to register for the Blogalicious conference here and discount code: B6SISTER. And don’t worry, if you can’t attend the entire weekend, they just launched day passes!
Listen to the full episode with Stacey below.